[lit-ideas] Re: Diabetes and obesity

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 05:49:59 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mohammad Al-Ubaydli <mo@xxxxx>
Sent: May 12, 2004 6:48 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Diabetes and obesity

Dear all,
we saw a great lecture today at NIH about the epidemiology of diabetes and =
obesity. The speaker is great, and the videocast is at:

http://videocast.nih.gov/ram/wals051204.ram

This was very interesting and is an important economic issue, since all these
people will need medical care.  There is a movement now by the fast food
industry to reverse portion sizes which have ballooned since the 1960's.  Also
to get people to exercise more.   Slimming the population is compared to the
generally successful public health effort to get people to stop smoking.  On
the other hand, I've heard that smoking is actually good for the economy
because premature deaths are a smaller drain on Social Security and other
benefits.  Perhaps chronic illness is built into the economic system.  As is
war, at least according to Malthus.

A.A.

mo