[lit-ideas] Re: Der Finhest How-where

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:44:37 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2010 12:09:02 A.M., ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:

I'd  be
surprised if he wasn't aware of the  connection.

----

Some excerpts from

_http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/speeches/speeches-about-winston-churc
hill/his-speechs-how-churchill-did-it_
(http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/speeches/speeches-about-winston-churchill/his-speechs-how-churchill-did-it
)

to check if we can claim it was 'conversationally implicated':

In any case, there's further context. Perhaps Ritchie can expand on what
context this French lady was using.

"[Churchil then introduces] those to whom the message is sent: "us.""

""We" are those being summoned, ... Some form of the first person plural
occurs no fewer than eleven times."

"The force of "THEIR finest hour" is strengthened by the twist in
perspective it represents, for "they" are of course "US.""

"The shift from first to third person is a shift from what "we" must do to
how others will judge us, which is the only reward "we" are offered by
Churchill: to be honoured in history by future generations, not just by
immediate descendants, but by "men" as a whole -- the judgement the world will
make of the British."

"It is deliberate myth-making, as if Homer were addressing the Greek army
before Troy and promising that their deeds, if worthy, will always be
recounted  and marvelled at. Churchill promises his countrymen the opportunity
of
future  epic fame as the one sure gain into which to transform what is
otherwise for  them simply the avoidance of loss."

"In defining the threat, Churchill  states who is threatened and so names
"us" -- "Britain," "British" and "our  Empire" -- and repeats and amplifies
it in the final sentence: "the British  Empire and its Commonwealth.""

"What is threatened is not just another European country akin to those
already lost, but a global Empire."

"This concretizes the assertion that the outcome of the battle would affect
 "the whole world," but also reminds the audience that Britain could call
upon  resources no other European country could muster in opposing its  foe."

"This was not idle: Canadian troops were already in Britain, and  within
Fighter Command, fully 10% of the pilots were from Commonwealth  countries."

"A further 10% were from the occupied countries of Europe, and the United
States. Against the sacrifice he is demanding of "us" are ranged three areas
of  civilisation."

a.  "France,"

b. "all Europe" and

c. "the United States."

"The first is lost, the second subjugated but with the possibility of
becoming free, the third threatened."

"For the duration of an "hour," the one which the British are summoned upon
 to make their finest, "this island" is placed in the centre of human
history."

"In this way Churchill builds the whole passage on three  contrasts of
extent. The first is the contrast in the extent of time between the  past of
the
Dark Ages and

the possibly "protracted" future

as opposed to the

"hour"

in which

"we"

are called upon to do our duty."

"Churchill has produced an inverted epitaphios by calling on the living to
be heroes for their descendants. He anticipates the future epitaphios of
those  currently living in which it will be said that "this was their finest
hour.""

"By "bracing themselves to their duties," the fathers of future sons are to
 be worthy of the norms of the past (progonoi) in which withstanding
tyranny was  simply a duty (paideia and politeia) and by their bearing (arete)
defend the  present and so link the past and future of the people of this
island  (autochthones) in such a way that descendants will be comforted that
"we"
have  won honour (paramythetikon) and will then seek to be worthy of "us"
(protreptikon)."

Etc.

JLS