[lit-ideas] Re: Democrats

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:31:42 -0500

Julie -I've been baffled by the Democrats since 9/11 -- at first they seemed
like sheep, blinded...and since then they've made some attempt to rouse and
speak against what they believe is wrong; but they do not, have not, put
forward any better notions, any agenda, they have not in any way been proactive
(I hate that buzz-word-used-to-be, but it's the only thing that suffices here).
 There's a profound lack of a powerful leader in the party.  It saddens me.

Stan - The party in the White House always has a clear advantage because they
have a leader that speaks for the party. The party outside the White House is
always handicapped, there are so many voices that reflect different
perspectives. They rarely have a charismatic leader (those outside of the WH, I
mean) who speaks for them all. But the Democratic perspective has never been
clearer - given the radical extremists that manage Congress and the WH.

Democrats have a pretty pragmatic view of government. They think government can
and does improve the lives of the people. They - We - believe in using
government in areas that are beyond individual control (e.g., insuring that the
air and water are clean, that regions get help with disaster relief, that war
veterans are supported with good health care) and helping individuals who can't
help themselves (disabled people who can't work, the very poor who can't afford
health care, people who have lost their jobs and need assistance until they can
find another one).

If Democrats have a mixed perspective on Irag, its unavoidable, given that
we're there already and have sacrificed young men and women in this effort. It
would be much easier if we all had the same view of Iraq because we're
Democrats -- and can sharply contrast it with the other sides -- but that's
unrealistic. Certainly even the GOP has a mixed perspective on Iraq - from
McCain to Chuck Hagel to John Warner to Arlen Spector, even to Pat Roberts.

If there were a Democrat in the White House, we wouldnt be in Iraq, to begin
with. And there would have been some sustained focus on finding and capturing
OBL. That is, if the Democrat in the WH wasn't sabotaged by a Republican
majority in Congress.

But concluding that Democrats have no clear message is not warranted. It's only
warranted if you think a clear message is clear only if it's succinct enough to
fit on a bumper sticker.

Stan Spiegel

Portland, Maine

  <<Fissiparous means reproducing by fission, dividing into two equal parts,
each of which is capable of independent growth, but I donât know what the
author means by the term.>>

  The dictionary defines it as "divisiveness".  It's kind of unusual at my age
to see a word for the first time!

  I've been baffled by the Democrats since 9/11 -- at first they seemed like
sheep, blinded...and since then they've made some attempt to rouse and speak
against what they believe is wrong; but they do not, have not, put forward any
better notions, any agenda, they have not in any way been proactive (I hate
that buzz-word-used-to-be, but it's the only thing that suffices here).
There's a profound lack of a powerful leader in the party.  It saddens me.

  Julie Krueger

  ========Original Message======== Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Democrats
        Date: 2/25/06 3:53:32 P.M. Central Standard Time
        From: lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  An interesting article, Julie.  Fissiparous means reproducing by fission,
dividing into two equal parts, each of which is capable of independent growth,
but I donât know what the author means by the term.

  I have heard others describe the Democratic Party in similar terms to those
in the article.  Democrats know what they are against, i.e., anything that Bush
is for, but they donât know what they are for, or they donât know in any
terms that are going to get their candidate elected.

  Lawrence