[lit-ideas] Re: David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:11:36 -0400

Mike: Liberalism as a theory of governance doesn't believe in the perfectibility of human beings as Lawrence seems to believe it does, on the contrary, it recognizes that all of us are self-seeking and corruptible and ever will be and therefore our enterprises require rigorous accountability and regulation -- the bogeymen of conservatism.

See? You really should go to the link and read the whole essay. Mamet addresses that "perfectibility issue" and believes that our system of government -- both liberal and conservative -- responds well to human corruption because it anticipates it.

You want to pin the tail only on the Donkey. All sides have good tails.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0811,374064,374064,1.html/full

Best,
Eric

PS: Don't miss the part about Mailer on Godot. It's a hoot.