[lit-ideas] Re: Darfur

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:04:07 -0400

**Your email came through and wasn't ignored. This situation is more than disturbing (and personal).

**When (significantly) younger, learning about the Holocaust, made some deliberate attempts to query my parents, tried to hold them accountable for not protesting sufficiently, not halting the genocide.

**Now, many years later, having been a activist, failed protester of the war in Vietnam -- this despicable state of murder has resurfaced (though there are, of course, numerous other incidents -- even in the past ten years) -- can I truly do anything about the current genocide in Darfur (could my parents end the Holocaust -- or even help to end it??).

**Four members of my family made the long trek to Washington, DC last weekend to participate in the Darfur protests. Will it have any effect?? Can individuals, even gatherings similar to last weekend's, bring about change -- cause appropriate actions?? Is raising awareness adequate or even satisfactory?? I DON'T KNOW. What options or alternative courses of action do we as citizens possess??

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ

Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

Related rumination. I sent two posts about Darfur to this list this past week. Nobody commented or acknowledged them. Should I assume my posts don't always post, or should I take this silence as a personal slight, in keeping with the general tone around here lately?
aw,
Carol