[lit-ideas] Cormoran Strike

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:35:06 -0800

My brain it seems has a mind of its own and refuses, at least for the present, to read any more Iris Murdoch; so I left several of her novels only partially read on my Kindle and looked for something less taxing on Amazon Prime. I saw nothing interesting and so added a couple of channels one of which contained the British detective series /Cormoran Strike.
/

/Cormoran Strike /was created by J. K. Rowling who apparently has gotten tired of writing /Harry Potter /stories/. /Strike is ex-Royal Military Police Special Investigation Branch who lost the lower half of his right leg to an IED in Afghanistan.  He previously studied at Oxford, but left in his second year to join the Army following the death of his mother.

Strike is somewhat like a film-noir detective: always has a cigarette, drinks too much, has complicated relationships with women, but he doesn't have the typical smart mouth.  He walks as funny as I do.  In his case however it is just acting.  The actor Tom Burke resembles Stacy Keach in the /Mike Hammer /series/. /He even has a Stacy Keach split lip.  Strike like Mike has a good friend who is a police detective,//but he isn't nearly as fierce as Mike.  In fact in the early episodes when he finally confronts the killer, Camoran Strike loses his prosthesis.  He is wallowing around on the floor on his back, and might have lost the fight if it weren't for the unexpected appearance of his secretary.  Also, I don't imagine the Rowling or the BBC will ever allow Strike to carry a gun.

Rowling didn't make Strike easy for the TV producers to film.  Presumably they couldn't find an actor with the correct sort of disability (if they looked for one); so they had to train Tom Burke to walk funny.  They show him climbing stairs pretty much the way I have to.  There are several scenes where you see his missing leg, but they do that with Photoshop-like editing.

In the current (February 27, 2020) issue of /Science News /is the article "Antidepressant could treat Covid-19, "Fluvoxamine prevents mild cases from worsening, data suggests."  In the study group no patients who took fluvoxamine were hospitalized, whereas 12.5% of the patients who did not take the drug were hospitalized.  I felt a little like that, i.e. not needing to be hospitalized from reading too much Iris Murdoch thanks to having taken a few episodes of J. K. Rowling. :-)

Lawrence