[lit-ideas] Conjectures and Refudiations

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:38:53 -0400

What role do stars play in your life? Palin is ambiguous about that. ("It
depends on what you mean, 'star'").

Popper on astrology vs. astronomy.

In a message dated 10/13/2015 1:07:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx quotes:
"wondering whether this sort of evidence helps falsify astrological
theories"

and adds:

"put that in your astrological pipe dreams, and smoke."

Well, for the record, Popper was born on July 28.

When this actor played Hawking in "The theory of everything" he told him
(Hawking): "What amazes me is that we were born on the same day". Hawking
replied,

"I'm sorry: I'm with Popper on that: I believe in astronomy, not
astrology."

Vide Palin, "Conjectures and Refudiations".

Cheers,

Speranza