[lit-ideas] Re: Classics, DeMille, P.D. James & Science Fiction

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: epostboxx@xxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:06:52 -0800

Very interesting, Chris.  It is hard for me to reconstruct what and why I read particular books unless something stands out in my memory or unless I liked something well enough to read several times, A. E. Van Vogt's /Slan/, for example.

I've mentioned that my grandmother raised me until I was ten.  She thought I should read Westerns, especially Zane Grey.  I recall that she bought me a copy of /Spirit of the Border /for one of my birthdays.  In retrospect /Spirit of the Border, /which was based on the historical Lew Wetzel who tracked down the half-breed, Jim Girty, may have been the most violent of Grey's novels. I later wondered why she selected that particular novel.

I was born in 1934.  The first novel I read was /Robinson Crusoe; /which had an effect on me.  I have since then been an "always prepared," carrying Swiss Army knives sort of person.  Susan, when I met her was more the "never be prepared" sort.  When we would go places, I would stock the car for emergencies, and she would laugh and scoff while I did so.  :-)

I would have been ten in 1944.  I was very much caught up in the war back then, and read the /Wilmington Press Journal /and /The Lost Angeles Times/ avidly and cut out maps of of the battles being fought.  That's when I became especially impressed by the Marines.

My mother remarried when I was twelve.  We moved into a duplex with the landlord living next door.  He was Mr. Thurlow, a widower, born in England and living with his sister in law, Mrs Smith.  He was a kind man whom we respected.  I don't recall anyone speculating about his living arrangement. My stepfather bought me my first bicycle when I was 12 and I rode it a lot.  I recall liking Edgar Rice Burrows.  I liked his Fantasy/SF as well as I did his Tarzan.

I didn't read C. S. Lewis, but until I got out of the Marine Corps (1955) I got my books from the library or a used book store.  I never saw a review.  I would select books by rummaging through the book store stacks and basing my decisions on the cover art.

I didn't discover C.S. Lewis, as far as I recall, until I began accumulating /The Oxford History of English Literature /when I was in college/. /C. S. Lewis's /English Literature in the Sixteenth Century, excluding Drama /was the first book of his that I read.  It was published in 1953, but don't recall when I bought it or read it.  Susan was fond of C.S. Lewis and got me to read many of his other writings, but his history was the only book of his that I really liked.  I read it two or three times.

I liked J. R. R. Tolkien much better Lewis.  I had an interest in archaeology and Tolkien's /Hobbit /and /Lord of the Rings /trilogy fascinated me.  I probably read them four of five times.  (I never joined a Tolkein club, however.  I wasn't _that_ fascinated.)

I didn't read the same books others here mentioned, but I was an adolescent earlier than most (all?) of you and so had earlier books available to me.  And if some were in existence, I may not have encountered them.  At one time, if the old guy with the little used-book store didn't have it, I didn't read it.  The time came when I realized how limited my local library was.  After that, I quit going there.  After I started college and had a car, I would go to Acres of Books in Long Beach.  They had a reputation for having more used books than any other used book store in . . . don't remember, maybe Southern California.

I recognize the authors, you mention, Chris, but can't recall whether I read them or what I thought of them if I did.  I mentioned making the decision not to stay in the Marine Corps and started reading "the classics" when I was stationed at Twenty-nine Palms, but when the opportunity arose to leave that unpleasant place and become a rifle instructor at Camp Pendleton, I jumped at it.  At Pendleton one of my fellow coaches was Bob Bickel.  He loved science fiction but preferred short stories.  I preferred novels; so we would read and then narrate to each other what we had read -- that saved us both having to read a format we didn't like.  Bob's family was in New Mexico; so I invited him to come home with me when we were on Liberty.  He eventually married my sister.

I had the G. I. Bill, but I also worked on the docks out of the Teamster's Union.  My stepfather got both Bob and I into the Teamster's Union so we could "swamp," which meant loading and unloading trucks on the docks.  We would sit in the Teamster's Hiring Hall and wait to be called to meet a truck driver who needed someone to load or unload his truck in the Los Angeles Harbor.  I did a lot of studying while waiting to be called out, but I also read a lot of Science Fiction.  I never managed to interest Bob in going to college.  After graduating in 1959, I started work at Douglas Aircraft Company.  I took classes toward an M. A. in the evening at Long Beach State and then Dominquez Hills.  Bob and my sister split up at some point and he moved back with his family which had moved to Colorado. I read other things by then, but resorted to SF when I wasn't up to anything serious, and then later on resorted to Detective fiction.

Lawrence

On 2/16/2021 1:34 AM, epostboxx@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On 16. Feb 2021, at 07:09, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do I think any of these SF novels are "classics"?
As an adolescent I read predominantly science fiction, 'devouring' 4 or 5 books
a week for years. Of those, I would say some by Arthur C. Clarke classify as
literature. I read David Lindsay's VOYAGE TO ARCTURUS as a young teenager and
it has stuck with me in a troubling way throughout adulthood. (I don't think I
could read it again.)

In early adult life (when, I think in hindsight, my reading was a [close to
pathological?] escape from reality) I discovered C.S. Lewis's incredible
'Ransom' trilogy (which I re-read regularly), John Wyndham (a worthy successor
to H.G. Wells) and Keith Roberts, whose 'alternate histories' I thought very
highly of.  I occasionally re-read Wells (definitely literary classics) and
Wyndham; Roberts I had to look up to get the name right. Algis Budrys's ROGUE
MOON made a deep impression on me (enough so to mention it despite some serious
misgivings I have about it now).

There is also a colleague of Lewis and Chesterton who wrote what I would
classify in the 'religious fantasy' genre - I can't remember the name. [Now
I've looked him up: Charles Williams - one of 'The Inklings'; many of whom were
at one time favourites of mine.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inklings

I find it interesting that I enjoy(ed) engaging with Chesterton and Lewis (and,
back then, Williams) even though I profoundly disagree(d) with their
Weltanschauung [world view] - perhaps because I appreciate having people 'on
the other side' who are intelligent, literate, and have deep insight into 'the
human condition' (even though I think their ultimate position 'wrong').This may
also be because I originally came from 'that side' ...

Recently I've been listening to the 'Short Science Fiction' collections (from
the early and mid 20th century - i.e., with expired copyrights) found on
Librivox. It is interesting to see how far 'behind' those 'visions of the
future' we are in terms of space travel; and on the other hand how we have
undergone certain social and technological developments (especially in
computing technology) to which those authors were completely blind. I find very
little of it that I would classify as literature, but much of it good for light
entertainment - and the occasional 'insight.' (Is the latter enough to make it
'literature', I wonder ...)

https://librivox.org/group/435?primary_key=435&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Thanks for your postings, Lawrence.

Chris Bruce, in