[lit-ideas] Chortles refudiate frumiously

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:52:14 EDT

Geary:

"However, I don't mind ridiculing Sarah Palin's misuse of  language"

William Kristol in

_http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/refudiate-liberalism_
(http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/refudiate-liberalism)

"The  case for linguistic innovation is this: We need a word that captures
and  conjoins the meanings of refutation and repudiation. And we need it
now. To save  the country from the ravages of contemporary liberalism, we have
to refute  liberal arguments and see liberal politicians repudiated at the
polls."

"So the conservative agenda is, in a word, refudiation. Indeed,  given the
dramatic moment at which we have arrived, one might say that we now  have
the prospect of a grand refudiation of liberalism.
The meeting of  intellectual refutation and political repudiation is, after
all, the usual  prerequisite for the establishment of a new political
order. The Tea  Partiers—the most striking political development of our
day—have
understood this  well. The movement is an assemblage of arguers and
activists. Indeed, they might  be called refudiators avant la lettre.
The original Tea Party was followed,  of course, by the Declaration of
Independence, which proclaims certain  truths—that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator  with certain unalienable rights, that
governments derive their just powers from  the consent of the governed.
These truths are based on a rejection of other  claims to rule, monarchical and
aristocratic claims—a refutation of them based  on “the palpable truth,
that the mass of mankind has not been born, with saddles  on their backs, nor a
favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them  legitimately, by the
grace of god” (in Jefferson’s famous words). And the  proclamation of
irrefutable truths is combined with the assertion of a  particular act—that the
American people repudiate “all allegiance to the British  crown” and “
political connection” with Great Britain."

"The Declaration of Independence—and the successful struggle for freedom
that followed—depended, then, on a grand refudiation of the existing
arrangements under which America labored. The Constitution similarly depended
on  a
refudiation of the Articles of Confederation. It required both an argument
as  to why they were failing and action to replace them. Each of our big,
realigning  elections—in 1860, 1896, 1932, 1980—reflected a refudiation of
the political  status quo. Politics is both argument and action. Realignment
depends on  refudiation.
We are conservatives. We ordinarily shun novelties of all kinds,  including
new words. But desperate times call for desperate measures. The Obama
project is one of noxious ideology and wild political overreach. The challenge
before conservatives is to beat back both. So say it loud and say it proud:
Refudiate liberalism now!"

Speranza, Bordighera