[lit-ideas] Re: Child abuse: nature or nurture?

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:11:49 +0100

On 14. Nov 2006, Ursula Stange wrote:

Along with the bad parental behaviour model, and the physical and mental suffering, the little ones also seem to suffer chemical changes that pre-dispose them to repeat the behaviours. A triple whammy...it's a wonder that we do as well as we do as a species.

Cf.:

    "It was [Dr. James A.] Brussell [the father of
     modern forensic psychiatry] who said it's
     amazing that the human mind works at all,
     even more amazing that most of us keep it
     under some sort of control.  Some sort of
     control, detective.  You see the wisdom of
     that statement?"

This quote comes from the novel _Probable Cause_, by Ridley Pearson; which when i read it some years ago, struck me with sufficient force to make a note of it - but not enough to research whether Brussell is more than a fictional character, or where (i.e., in what context) he made that 'wise' statement.

Does any list member know more (or care enough to find out)?

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany