[lit-ideas] Cheese Problems Solved

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 07:06:45 EST

From the OED:

1999 Mixmag Apr. 48/3 The critics who say it's a load of cheese and sh*t
like, f*ck 'em... Cheese is good, man, if people like dancing to it.

Geary writes:

>My question: "Cheese Problems Solved" -- I assume that plays on  flatulence

Also:

School slang. A smile. Also, esp. Photographers'  colloq., the word ‘cheese’
notionally or actually pronounced to form the lips  into a smiling
expression.
1930 [see CHEESE v.1 2].
---- In fact this _is_ a 'cheese problem'. A tranvestite celebrity in
Argentina changed that to 'doh', which brings in better muscle display in
photo.

cfr. the Cheeses: a nickname applied to the First Life Guards (see quot.
1903).
This would be J. R. Ackerley's problem.
-- 1903 Westm. Gaz. 24 Nov. 1/3 More regimental nicknames. That of ‘The
Cheeses’ was bestowed on the Life Guards... The old-fashioned officers
protested
that the regiments were no longer composed of gentlemen but of  cheesemongers.

then there's the reanalysis from 'cheesy':
cfr.
1991 Washington Times (Nexis) 3 May E5 You hate to see her submit to such
blatant TV cheese.
1996 Entertainm. Weekly 31 May 27/1 The director, with his love of '70s
cheese, gave John Travolta back his cool by casting him as Vincent the hitman
in
Pulp Fiction.

Finally, there's the homophone, 'cheese' "Of doubtful origin; but prob. a.
Pers. and Urdu chiz ‘thing’. Yule says such expressions used to be common
among  young Anglo-Indians as ‘My new Arab is the real chiz’, i.e. ‘the real
thing’.]  In this case, the problem is the cost of showing your genuine  self.
      --- Personally, I find Baboon metaphysics  more telling. Cheese can
indeed be problematic, as Distaff and Addison well  note:
1711 J. DISTAFF Char. Don Sacheverellio 6 The richness of a Cheese is
discovered by the multiplicity of its Mites.
1712 ADDISON Spect. No. 538 3
Such who could indeed bear the sight of cheese, but not the taste.
Cheese,

J. L.

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)