[lit-ideas] Cartoons and Caricature.

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:50:26 -0600

My post to Theoria was very much a cartoon.  It was derisive caricature.  I
assumed that no one would seriously think that I really believe all white,
Christian Republicans are evil.  I did assume that it would piss off a lot of
Theoria readers.  Derisive cartoons and caricature exist only for the choir,
give them something to shout Amen! about.  It's also a way of telling the other
side in no uncertain terms that you're still out there and still in opposition.
 My post was so over the top that I thought many would find it as funny as I
did, but I do have a macabre sense of humor.  I recently saw a woman
acquaintance with her arm in a cast.  I asked about it and she started into a
bizarre story about being out of work and no insurance and taking her mountain
sized dog for a walk to get her mind off her troubles when the dog got spooked
at something and took off across the street.  The leash was wrapped around her
arm and the dog dragged her into the traffic, across the street, she hit her
elbow on the curb and screwed it all up and had to have pins set in it and it
just went on an on -- it was so bizarre I could only laugh -- which really
infuriated her and she started crying, which made me laugh even more even
though I was totally in sympathy with her plight.  It was more like -- isn't
that just like God to kick you when you're down.  My usual response to distress
is laughter -- even at my own distress -- well, OK, sometimes even my own
distress.  Always has been.  It could be a sign of mental derangement, maybe
all those hysterical imams are the model of sanity.  Ha!  Probably are.

Mike Geary
Memphis