[lit-ideas] Can a sweater be red and green all over? No stripes allowed.

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:30:11 -0400

In a message dated 5/15/2015 11:37:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"But I doubt it. If W does say such things, I would like the actual words
quoted. [...] I do not think we can infer any such thing from what Richard
quotes."

What I do know (rather than doubt) is that Grice did say such things, I
mean as per subject line:

"Can a sweater be red and green all over? No stripes allowed."

He thought that for his children's playmates that would be easier language
than Kant.

It seems both Witters and Grice (both analytic philosophers, unlike Gœthe)
were into the 'synthetic a priori', and oddly as it seems (vide "paradox
of analysis") it takes an analytic philosopher to detect a synthetic a
priori.

Cheers,

Speranza