[lit-ideas] Re: Campaigns

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:07:31 +0900

On 2004/08/14, at 22:00, Ursula Stange wrote:

> ...particularly when the news (terror alerts, Al-Quaeda arrests etc.)
> is
> managed so that Kerry is never the lead story.  I don't read that many
> American newspapers, but on Netscape news, for instance, Kerry seems
> merely a blip now and then.
>
> Nothing on the front page of the NYTimes web edition.
> Nothing in the San Francisco Examiner.
> Nothing in the Chicago-Sun-Times.
> Nothing in the Chicago Tribune.
> Nothing in...

Among reasons we don't see much, here are two that many of us may not
consider: (1) as Net-oriented people we tend to look at national or
global news sources instead of local newspapers, TV news shows, etc.,
and (2) the overwhelming bulk of the effort at this stage in the
campaign is going into local campaigning, especially in battleground
states. For the national news there may be little new and newsworthy in
what Kerry says in Portland if it's similar to what he said in Tucson.
But for local media, the fact that the candidate showed up in our city
is big, big news. So a lot goes on under our radar.

Not that this should be taken as disproof of a right-wing media
conspiracy theory....

John L. McCreery
International Vice Chair, Democrats Abroad

Tel 81-45-314-9324
Email mccreery@xxxxxxx

 >>Life isn't fair. Democracy should be. <<

To learn more about Democrats Abroad, see these websites

        In Japan: http://www.demsjapan.jp
        Worldwide: http://www.democratsabroad.org