[lit-ideas] Re: Bruce Aune [your blog]

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:05:58 -0800

"I hope your depression lifts; you don't want to become the Van Gogh of
photography."

I watched a PBS documentary on the Wolverine this evening.  They have a
tremendous range, 500 miles, and they are always moving.  Maybe I'm a bit
like the wolverine.  I need to keep doing things and experience something
akin to post-partum depression after I finish a study or writing project.
Perhaps anyone would.  But I also experience something a bit more complex
when I encounter the sort of difficulty the E-1 seller and his camera have
presented me.  Should I have done something different?  I go over what I did
and think not.  I suspect I shall have to pay for the repairs without any
help from the seller or eBay, but back there some place, if I will admit it
to myself that I considered that possibility and wanted to have this
repaired camera despite the cost.  I was not willing to let Olympus destroy
the camera in an "environmentally safe manner," or try to return it to this
seller who in his eBay description stated that he would not accept returns.
But perhaps, also,  I was attached to the emotional idea of the E-1 and this
E-1 in particular.

Following Collin Diamond's example, I should take off the seller's hood, let
him out of the chair and send him on his way.  Yes, the seller is
undoubtedly guilty just as "Loverboy" was guilty of sleeping with Diamond's
wife.  He suffered while in the chair and perhaps the E-1 seller has
suffered imagining the trouble I might cause him, but I don't really want to
invest anymore time in him.  The seller is sure to be more careful next
time, and Loverboy may forego adultery completely in the future.  But
Diamond and I have to let them go.

I just received a notice from Olympus that my repaired E-1 has been turned
over to UPS for delivery to San Jacinto.  Since the Olympus Service Center
is only 50 or 60 miles away, I shall probably get it tomorrow.  Let Loverboy
have his memories of his adultery, and let the E-1 seller rejoice in his
having outsmarted one more sucker -- or . . . someone used to say in a
postscript something like "do not attribute to malice what just as easily
can be attributed to stupidity."  The seller may very well have purchased
this E-1 and then not been willing to confess that he didn't understand it.
He said it worked the last time he used this, but how long ago was that and
how many photos did he take, 10, 20?  He may be much closer in this business
to stupidity than he is to malice -- which is an even better reason to let
him go.

I read a couple of more comments on Olympus forums about the E-1.  The E-1
is more weather-proof than the later pro cameras, E-3 and E-5.  One of the
pro photographers takes photos of sailing regattas using his E-1, and at the
end of the day he uses a hose to wash the salt-water off of it.  Not many
cameras would tolerate that treatment . . . so this camera may very well be
worth twice as much as I thought I was paying for it.  I feel a spring now
in my words, much as there was in Collin Diamond's steps as he walked away
from the warehouse where he had kept Loverboy.

Lawrence