[lit-ideas] Re: British cab driver refuses ride to blind couple

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:04:11 +0000 (GMT)

it happens, Mike, here and in the US. Here it is illegal and has been since
2001 for any driver to refuse to take a guide dog. (I assume it is there,
too.)  It's an offence under the (extended) Disability Discrimination Act.  For
a first offence, it's simply a hefty fine.

It is an offence for any taxi driver to refuse to take a guide dog (simply
because it's a dog, for religious reasons alone) but since the law was passed,
it's (some) Muslims who still do it

and

it's an offence (same body of law, but 2007) for hotel and B and B owners to
turn away gays, but  Christian couples still do it

>You're so eaten up with hostility for Muslims

indeed

Judy Evans, Cardiff