[lit-ideas] Re: Britain's Human Rights Act in trouble?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 15:13:21 +0100 (BST)

"A couple of examples of its “failure” are presented:"

The cases of Aso Mohammed Ibrahim and Laith Alani

The failure to deport Aso Mohammed Ibrahim is nothing really to do with the
Human Rights Act, and the ruling that the Act means he must remain is nothing
to do with *his* rights:

family, but these failures have nothing whatsoever to do with the Human
Rights Act.Had there been an application to deport Ibrahim on his
 release from prison, the immigration tribunal said, it would certainly
have succeeded.In the seven years since then, he has married a UK citizen,
fathered two children and acquired two stepchildren. Article eight
 of the European human rights convention protects the right to family
life. The impact that his expulsion would have on these innocent members
 of his family is what has kept him here.Deportation is not
punishment for crime. For a non-citizen, the common sense principle is
that committing serious crime is an abuse of hospitality by which any
claim to remain here is forfeited. But other factors may intervene. We
don't deport people to face torture.Nor has Article eight, to
which the UK has been committed since 1950, ever put family life ahead
of all other considerations. It can be overridden "in the interests of
public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, and
 for the protection of the rights and freedom of others".....
Instead of seeking
to deport him after he had served his sentence, the government allowed
Ibrahim to stay and acquire a family. The judges found they had left it
too late. Rightly or wrongly, they put the family first.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/libertycentral/2010/dec/28/human-rights-act-aso-mohammed-ibrahim

Laith Alani, Iraqi, who came here as a child, was a paranoid schizophrenic
committed to a secure hospital after his conviction for killing two doctors. In
January 2010, when he'd been imprisoned for 19 years, a tribunal ruled that he
should not be deported following his release because he would not, there, be
prescribed the drug that had controlled his behaviour for the last ten years,
and that made his release possible: that he would be a danger to others there,
and to himself.

In February 2010, Laith Alani hanged himself in his cell.

2.

 But it is not human rights the Home Secretary wants to do away with, just this
(apparently) poorly constructed bill.

The Act, which is not poorly constructed, writes the European Convention into
British Law.  Scrapping it would simply mean plaintiffs might have to go to
Strasbourg to enforce their, our, rights. That is a retrograde step.

Judy Evans, Cardiff