[lit-ideas] Re: Brit tourist suspected to have been murdered after being ...

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:59:12 EDT

My true colours, then.

The example I did  NOT read from "The Independent" -- I would NEVER read
the Independent -- Just  browse it. (Bad graphics).

It was reported in the World Wide Words as per  below:

---

An unfortunate inversion of events has occurred,  according to The
Independent of 20 March, Hazel Parry notes: "A British  tourist who
has been missing for five days in Hong Kong is suspected to have
been murdered after being found dead, police said Sunday."

----  available online.

I did read, in a hasty mood, that above, and focused on  the 'inversion of
events' -- I did fail to see the implicature or humour in  Hazel Parry.
Instead, I was wondering about reporting of events. For Grice,  events have to
be reported in the manner in which they occur. This he calls the
conversational maxim,

"Be orderly".

Thus,

"Mary took off  her knickers and went to bed."

"Mary went to bed and took off her  knickers"

----- Grice argues that, according to Wittgenstein's picture in  the
_Tractatus_, both propositions represent the same 'event', since "and" is
truth-functional.

It is lik e "+" in mathematics:

'sugar and  flour'

same as

'flour and sugar'.

-----

Since there  was this mention about 'inversion of events' in the Note in
the Independent, and  there was no feature of 'and' but "after" I was
wondering.

1.

A  British tourist who has been missing for five days in Hong Kong is
suspected to  have been murdered after being found dead.

----

2. A British  tourist who has been missing for five hears in Hong Kong is
suspected to have  been murdered BEFORE being found dead.

I.e. it struck me that if there is  an odd 'implicature' (but only
implicature, not entailment) about (1) it is  because we tend to assume that
'after'
is NOT truth-functional. Or  something.

>Don't know nothing about no truth-functional.

Geary  reports.

It's easy.

We say that

+ is truth-functional in  that

2 + 5 = 7

is the result of 2 and 5.

Or, to use the  example of "and"

---- Mary took off her knickers ------ TRUE
---- Mary  went to bed ------------------- TRUE

therefore:

Mary went to bed  and took off her knickers ---- TRUE.

I.e. 'and' is truth-functional in  that the truth of an 'and' statement is
a FUNCTION (and a function only) of the  truth of its two conjuncts.

For some people, however, -- I don't know  about the South -- 'and' is NOT
truth-functional.

"The Lone Ranger got on  his horse and rode away",

they claim, sounds different and less odd  than:

"The Lone Ranger rode away and got on his horse"

---- even  though, as Grice notes, the above is true.

Or:

"He died and drank  the poison"

---- Indeed equivalent to perhaps the more boring report of  events:

"He drank the poison and died."

Back to the police  report:

1. A British tourist who has been missing for five days in Hong  Kong is
suspected to have
been murdered after being found  dead.

-----

This is said to have been said by the police. So, it's  oratio obliqua, in
origin:

POLICE: We regret to inform that British  tourist, Jack Smith, who has
been missing for five days in Hong Kong is  suspected to have
been murdered.

JOURNALIST: How do you  know?

---- At this point the commentaries by Ritchie and McEvoy are  pertinent.
How does the police know that Jack Smith has been  murdered?

The Police, always ready to back their statements, then  volunteer the
information:

2. Jack Smith is suspected to have been  murdered AFTER being found dead.

-----

Here we have a case of  'entailment', also inverted. In general, it holds
as analytic that:

if x  has been murdered, x is dead.

--- but cfr. link to Ritchie's  post.

----

Alison Parker, in private communication, remarked to me  that possibly the
police needed a text editor. She claims that what the police  said,

1. A British tourist who has been missing for five days in Hong  Kong is
suspected to have
been murdered after being found dead.

is  perhaps clumsy. But she suspects the clumsiness comes from the reporter
of the  police's statement. What the police actually said, in Chinese, we
assume, WAS  possibly truth-functional, and orderly:

---- "Jack Smith was found dead.  He is the Jack Smith who had been missing
for five days. Seeing the state of the  corpse, we suspect Jack Smith has
been murdered (rather than die of a 'natural'  cause).

Parker notes that any attempt by the police to make a _neater_  report is
bound to trigger (ouch) the wrong implicature.

Therefore, she  assumes that it is a matter of better editing on the part
of the  Independent.

1. A British tourist who has been missing for five days in  Hong Kong is
suspected to have
been murdered after being found  dead.

Parker proposes:

2. Jack Smith no  more.

Cheers.

Speranza
---- The Swimming Pool  Library
----------- on a lazy afternoon.

In a message dated 3/26/2011  8:51:27 P.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
A person can be suspected of  being murdered although they have not been
found dead [Jimmy Hoffa]. So this is  not redundant 'by implicature'. It might
follow a previous headline, 'Brit  Tourist missing', and confirms they have
been found, albeit not in the rudest of  health.

Donal
Supporting his local sheriff
Grammar Community  Support Officer
Ldn