[lit-ideas] Re: Beard's The Rise of American Civilization

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 07:32:26 EST

Causes, Reasons, Triggers......

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Beard's The Rise
of American Civilization  Date: 2/8/06 6:28:22 A.M. Central Standard Time
From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Last comments.  Economic motives did drive the Civil War, absolutely
definitely.  But, slavery drove the Southern economy.  It was an  agricultural,
slave
based economy.  Without slaves, there was no  economy.  It would be like the
North being threatened with losing its  factories.  It's also why the North,
which was so much more  powerful, took so long to win (plus they had inferior
generals; my husband  is a Civil War buff), because the South was fighting for
its way of life.   The North was merely fighting for a cause, to keep the
Union together.   Whether keeping the Union together was worth it is another
question.  BTW,  I think you started this thread over the New Orleans thing,
states
rights to  government disaster relief.  You said NO wasn't entitled, the
states had to  do it.