[lit-ideas] Back in January of 1997

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:07:42 -0700

Inasmuch as I am an ordinary person like Robert Paul with no access to the
Phil-Lit archives I went out to my garage and rummaged through some old
diskettes.  I found the following which proves I was a member of Phil-Lit in
January of 1997.  Although why I saved this message I can't imagine:

mail.quick.net (8.7.3/8.6.5) with SMTP id QAA01071 for <lhelm@xxxxxxxxxx>;
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 16:05:32 -0800 (PST)

news.quick.net (8.6.9/8.6.9) with ESMTP id QAA13251 for <lhelm@xxxxxxxxx>;
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 16:05:30 -0800

(8.7.5/8.7.5) with SMTP id SAA18233; Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:05:00 -0600 (CST)

          1.8b) with spool id 8092 for PHIL-LIT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Wed, 8 Jan

          1997 18:04:46 -0600

          V1.2a/1.8a) with BSMTP id 3448; Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:03:15 -0600

with

          TCP; Wed, 08 Jan 97 18:03:14 CST

          tibalt.supernet.ab.ca (8.8.3/8.6.12) with ESMTP id QAA05586 for

          <PHIL-LIT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Wed, 8 Jan 1997 16:58:39 -0700 (MST)

          17:03:13 +700

Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:02:09 +700

Sender: PHIL-LIT <PHIL-LIT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: PAUL VANDERHAM <pvanderh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject:      Re: Phenomenology Reading, fate of phil

To: Multiple recipients of list PHIL-LIT <PHIL-LIT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jack Kolb writes "the meaninglessness of our existence is much more evident
now

than, say, it would have been to a medieval or even Enlightenment

philosopher."

I am interested to know, Jack, where or how this meaninglessness is more

evident.  Where do you see it?  Does the age of the earth have

anything to do with it?

Paul Vanderham

The King's University College

pvanderh@xxxxxxxxxxxx