[lit-ideas] Astrolopithecus Afarensis: The Unwritten Doctrines

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:32:56 EDT

Geary says "all languages are illiterate" -- and he's been around.  Mind,
even "Homo sapiens" was 'agraphic', and there's this book on Socrates, The
Unwritten Doctrines, while we suppose Socrates _could_ write.
It's all very complicated, and I long for a culture which would  revalue the
Oral Performance Word, and where all are good spellers ("Spelling  your own"
indeed to echo Malcolm)
Cheers,
JL

1871 Academy 15 Mar.  183/2 Agraphia, in which the patient speaks, but
blunders sadly  in writing. 1880  _BASTIAN_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b.html#bastian)
Brain xxix. 658 Agraphia may be
appropriately enough allowed to include ‘incoordinate’ as well as ‘paralytic’
defects in the power of mental expression by  Writing.

The collective name given to sayings attributed to Jesus but not recorded  in
the canonical Gospels.
[1889  A. RESCH (title of book  written in German) Agrapha.]