[lit-ideas] Archer Cholmondeley -- Death of a Tenor

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:54:39 EDT

Anyway, Geary dismissed my comment on Archer Cholmondeley. The fact is I  got
this cheap, or rather reasonably-priced "Photos of Opera Stars" edited by
Dover -- Dover's publications on photos are always excellent. And there is an
aristocratic photo of this tenor. I'm doing work on that, because it's
difficult  to see which photo represents who. It says, "His real name was
Archer
Cholmondeley", but his alias on stage was "Tom", I think, "Chamlee". I  thought:

     "Now -- that's a unique one. I would _NEVER_  cover
      my ass, I mean my surname like that."

I was also surprised because it would be the first Cholmondeley I know in
USA. I was told the name is pretty 'common' in England, but the English are
always making fun of theirselves that only in England they have an aristocratic

surname like Cholmondeley pronounced Chumley, and where everybody who is
anybody  knows _that_!

Cheers,

JL

steps!