[lit-ideas] Re: All is quiet

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 01:05:09 +0200

My guess is that I actually found a Facebook group where there is some
philosophical discussion - not too profound perhaps, but lively. Will let
yous know if you are interested. I will not mention a potentially
interesting date, for now at least.

O.K.

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:37 AM, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On May 14, 2015, at 1:27 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

So it's my guess that philosophy has been exhausted. All questions
answered. All problems solved. A doubts decided. We thank God for that.
Now we can get on with gossip.

Having spent the day reading student essays, I might now compare and
contrast Sara Maitland, "Gossip from the Forest," with Thomas Keneally,
"Gossip from the Forest," had I but read the former and were I able to
recall more than a couple of foggy memories of the latter. Since Keneally
is an Irish name and the Irish are the Twentieth Century's giants when it
comes to literary larking and general fiddle-de-dee, prejudice suggests his
might be the more interesting book. But I remember it being about how the
Germans who negotiated the Armistice were killed. Dark stuff. Maitland,
the review says, rambles in pleasant places, which is good. She is fearful
though that our children don't have "resilience." There's that word again.

Call it a draw.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon