[lit-ideas] All creatures, greats and smalls (Is: Lit. Hum.)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:41:34 EST

"The Great Go" (Is: Literæ Humaniores: The Secret History, anyone?

I thought the opposition between 'greats' was with the now current PPE
programme (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I see as per quotes below that
the
reference is merely temporal. First the small, then the great.

I notice there is a typo in the quote in the OED from Fowler, on Lit. Hum.,
who spells it "Litterae" sic with double t. Usage indeed!

Cheers,

JL

smalls:

Univ. colloq. The popular name (later superseded at Oxford by ‘smalls’)
for the first examination for the degree of B.A., officially called  ‘
Responsions’
at Oxford and ‘The Previous Examination’ at Cambridge (discontinued in the
20th c.).

1820  Gentl. Mag. XC. I. 32
At present the Examination [at Oxford] is divided  into a Little-go and a
Great-go; colloquial appellations of the facetious great  children sucking at
the
bosom of Alma Mater.

1824  Blackw. Mag. Oct. 461 note,
The little-go is a new classical examination lately  instituted at Cambridge.

1838 F. W. ROBERTSON Lett. 23 May (1882) I. 37 [dated ‘Brazenose,  Oxford’],
I have to take..my ‘little go’ this term.

1849 THACKERAY Pendennis iii,
He's coaching me and some other men for the little  go.

1860 M. BURROWS  Pass & Class i. (1866) 11
Responsions, commonly called ‘Little  go’ or, still more familiarly, ‘Smalls’
.

1876  DARWIN Life & Lett. (1887) I. 47
In my second year I had to work for a month or two  to pass the Little Go,
which I did easily.

1882 _L.  CAMPBELL_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c.html#l-campbell)
  Life Clerk Maxwell vi. 152
Some time before the little-go examination.

1889  Boy's Own Paper 3 Aug. 693/3  First came the three answers given to the
‘Little Go’ question.
1852 MRS.  GASKELL Let. 19 May (1966) 191,
I (boldly) asked them all to come here..so we had an impromptu  little-go
last night.
1858 Leisure Hour 15 July 448/1 This  preliminary spread, or ‘little go’.
1909 J. R. WARE Passing Eng. 169/1 Little  go, first imprisonment, first
invented by a fallen university man.
1960 WENTWORTH & FLEXNER  Dict. Amer. Slang 321/1  Little go, an unimportant,
unexciting, or incomplete  attempt, effort, task, or performance.

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La Recoleta  C1124AAE,