[lit-ideas] Re: Alcibiades, Nicias & aerie philosophy

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 22:52:13 -0800

Lawrence,

When I try to reply to you the replication of your text doesn't wrap; one has to deal with sentences and paragraphs of unseemly length. If you've changed some setting in your email maube you could change it back? It would help

So, I'm cutting and pasting the relevant parts of your most recent posting.

'This sort of thing is not unique to that time and place. We saw (depending upon where one looked) American politicians undermining the war effort in Iraq for political gain. They seemed to be putting their own political ambitions above American success in Iraq. This situation was different from the one facing Alcibiades because President Bush wanted the military operations in Iraq to succeed. The Athenians in power apparently didn't have success against the Syracusans as their highest priority. Thucydides implies that the Athenians would have won had the Athenian politicians left Alcibiades alone, but they didn't leave him alone. They achieved their political goal by ruining him, and they didn't care if they ruined the Syracusan operation in the process.'

Let me note in passing that if ever an Administration had its way, got whatever it asked for, and held its political opposition in contempt it is the current one, which not only occupies the White House, but has packed the Supreme Court with its political henchmen, and until a year ago had control of both houses of Congress. To see it implied that American politicians were 'undermining the war effort,' during those years when they were in effect unable to do anything of practical importance to stop the Administration from doing whatever it wanted to with respect to Iraq rings strange. But let me pass over it; we've all by now seen the movie.

Alcibiades did have powerful political opponents in Athens; but I don't see how it can be argued that they were responsible for the Sicilian debacle. The Sicilian Expedition was entirely Alcibiades' show. He argued for it, he argued for his being its leader, and his rhetoric won out over Nicias' appeal to the Powell Doctrine. Invade only when you have overwhelming force. Win. Get out. What inflamed Athenian opinion about Alcibiades was the possibility that he had a central role in the profanation of the mysteries, which apparently happened soon after the desecration of the hermae. (Earlier, I attributed his recall to his role in that but apparently he had none.)

It should be pointed out that Nicias and Alcibiaades had joint command over the Expedition. Alcibiades wanted sole command; Nicias didn't want command at all. He was wise enough to see that those who favored the plan assumed that many contingencies would all have to break their way for it to succeed. It was a bad plan from the start; that it advanced at all was the result of Alcibiades' rhetoric and hubris.

To speak of those opposed to Alcibiades simply as his 'political opponents,' oversimplifies a great deal. That Alcibiades was recalled after the expeditionary fleet had sailed speaks far less to the power of his opponents than it does to the role of omens and cults in Athenian life at that time.

I'd have thought that the leader who pleaded with the Athenians not to undertake this foolish adventure would deserve more praise than the duplicitous mercenary strategos who passionately argued for it.

One can read Book VI of Thucydides history at

http://classics.mit.edu/Thucydides/pelopwar.6.sixth.html

Robert Paul
Department of Forgotten Lore
Mutton College

Would the Athenians have won had they 'left Alcibiades alone' (by which I understand, 'let him have his way'?) Does Thucydides say that?

'Which left the inept and unqualified Nicias in charge of the Syracusan operation in Alcibiades place. He couldn't lead the Athenians to victory. They were defeated and he was executed. The politicians back in Athens who caused this debacle by falsely accusing Alcibiades and causing his ruin succeeded in their petty political goals. Alcibiades was removed as a political threat to them. But thousands of Athenians were killed at Syracuse.

What can be done about petty politicians who put their own ambitions above national interest? Apparently nothing. Bush's "surge" is apparently working in Iraq but do we see the politicians who lambasted Bush and his policies falling on their swords? Did the politicians who lied about Alcibiades fall on their swords? I haven't read all our newspapers or all of Thucydides, but I don't think so.

Lawrence Helm wrote:
I attempted to post this at 4:45 as you can see.  Why it hasn't appeared on
Lit-Ideas is but one more problem to solve.

Lawrence