[lit-ideas] Re: Affirmation

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 21:24:06 -0500

SEPTEMBER I,1939 "I'm sitting in one of the dives on 52nd Street,
uncertain and afraid as the clever hopes expire of a low, dishonest
decade. Waves of anger and fear circulate over the bright and darkened
lands of the Earth, the unmentionable odor of death offends the September
night...All the conventions conspire to make this fort assume the furniture
of home, lest we should see where we are, lost in a haunted wood, children
afraid of the night who have never been happy or good." Auden tries to
end it with an affirmative advocation that we "Love one another or die."
But I believe the consensus is that we all would rather die than share our
world.

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On the 1st September 1939 the Poles in German-governed Gdansk knew (gnew)
they'd be over-run by "friendly" Gernanskies. Nevertheless, they brought
tools into the city.

Now they're not with us. Most perished shortly thereafyer. We should hail
THEM. Not their persecutors.

BTW as the current undrsignators has been evicted from lit-ides we ax that
current posting is forwarded.

Med vennlig hilsen / Yours sincerely,

Torgeir Fjeld

http://independent.academia.edu/TorgeirFjeld