[lit-ideas] Adam's Spare-Rib (Was: His Navel

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:29:28 EDT

Geary:

"Why God would choose to make a person out  of a rib seems
bizarrely amusing to  me."

In "Time and Again" -- a lyric  unfortunately not to be found online
apparently -- Noel Coward refers to Adam's  "spare rib" which I think adds some
Brit
sophistication to the proceeding, if  you get my draft.

Anyway,

Geary:

>Why God would choose  to make a person out of a rib
>seems  amusing.

Well, admittedly he took caution to  'cause a deep sleep to fall upon Adam'.

And he also took caution to 'close up  the flesh'.

Personally I think possibly Adam had  one rib too many.

Cheers, and good  night.

J. L. Speranza
Buenos Aires,  Argentina

spare-rib. [prob. ad. MLG. ribbespêr (see ribspare) with transposition of the
two elements, and  subsequent association with spare  a.]

A cut of meat, esp. of pork,  consisting of part of the ribs somewhat closely
trimmed. Also fig.
1596 NASHE Saffron  Walden 48 Let's haue halfe a dozen  spare ribs of his
rethorique, with tart sauce of taunts correspondent. 1709 W.  KING Cookery  ix,
Spear-ribs, surloins, chines, and barons. 1749 FIELDING  Tom Jones (1775) III.
113, I  have bespoke a shoulder of mutton..and a spare-rib of pork. 1834
MARRYAT  P. Simple xxvii, There was  plenty of pork,..a roast sparerib with the
crackling on,..and pig's pettitoes. 1844 H. STEPHENS Bk. Farm II. 99 The ribs
[of
the sheep] are here  left exposed at the part from which the shoulder has
been removed, and  constitute what are called the spare-ribs. 1887 JEFFERIES
Amaryllis  xii, Pig~Pig~such as spare-rib, griskin, blade-bone,  and that
mysterious morsel, the ‘mouse’.
 1607 BREWER Lingua  II. i,  Traile no speares, but spar~ribs of Porke. 1611
 COTGR. ,  Cotis, the sparribs of a porke.  1706   S. SEWALL   Diary 24 Dec.
(1879) II. 175  Din'd on Salt Fish and a Spar-Rib. 1748  Anson's Voy.  III. v.
(ed. 4) 449 There was a great quantity of provisions, particularly salted
sparibs of pork. 1867  WAUGH  Tattlin' Matty i. 11  They'n bin killin' a pig;
an' hoo's brought me a bit o' spar-rib.
b.  attrib., as spare-rib feast, etc.
1737  Ochtertyre Ho. Bks. (S.H.S.) 90  The sparrib rost peices. 1867  G.
EASTON  Autobiog. i. (ed. 2) 18 The  Spare~rib Feast..took place immediately
after
the fatted ox had been killed.