[lit-ideas] Re: Abstract White

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:58:06 -0700

April 4, 2013 - Statesboro's 2nd Annual Motorcycle Porker Run is coming up on
Saturday, April 6. The event is open to the public and registration will take
place at Honda Kubota of Statesboro from 10-11 a.m. Bikers will begin from
Honda Kubota beginning at 11 a.m. and end at Locos by 3 p.m. The cost is $20
per person, and the first 100 paid participants will receive a free t-shirt.

The event is sponsored by Honda Kubota of Statesboro and Loco's Grill & Pub.
Proceeds benefit the American Diabetes Association Kiss-a-Pig campaign of Russ
Lanier of Thigpen, Lanier, Westerfield, & Deal. He hopes to beat out other
candidates vying to kiss the pig, honored by ADA as the original source of
insulin.

Kiss-a-Pig is sponsored this year by Piggly Wiggly, The Kennickell Group, WTOC
and WRHQ, Quality Rock, 105.3.

Sometimes the web proves tempting; this morning I read a newspaper from a
completely different part of the country, the Savannah Daily News.  Should your
day not prove satisfactory, or you feel yourself at a loose end on Saturday,
you have a Motorcycle Porker Run and Pig Kiss to consider.

In that paper I found nothing about sixteen inches of rain in two
hours--Argentina--or how Portland is not on the list of cities North Korea
thinks worthy of attack.  Neither did the newspaper say anything about an
attempt here to name a state microbe--brewer's yeast.  I didn't tarry, so I
don't know whether the paper covered the tale of the Carnival cruise ship
breaking away from its dock and smashing into other (normally immobile) boats
in Mobile, Alabama.  (That would be the "Carnival Triumph," the one that had
the engine fire.)  I bet there was something about the story of the Florida
university which unwound a contractual agreement with a private prison company.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/geo-group-stadium-private-prison_n_2999133.html

Yesterday I decided not to suggest to the president of our college that he
contact GEO to see if they'd like to give us money instead.

That evening I attended a talk by a well-known author.  Having spent a good
deal of time with one of her books while I was thinking about the history of
forgetting, I looked forward to her talk.  In person she delivers words at
umpteen million miles an hour and with nearly equal weight to all words.
Here's what she said in forty five minutes: despair is popular only among
people who can afford the affectation.  We must hope.  The rest was the kind of
writing I often create, a ramble, so it's possible my ears were blocked by
envy, but I was puzzled by how positively people reacted.  Loads of words
deployed in ant-like fashion and scant care about the sound..."Wonderful," said
everyone I talked with.  I think the essence was you could tell whose side she
was on.  Yeah for friends of the oppressed.  Yeah for hope.

The director of my play is having casting difficulties which, he says, are
normal.  Readers Theatre has a huge rolodex, or equivalent, and they solicit
actors who are between gigs and want to keep in shape.  In return for
next-to-no money.  The problem with that tactic is when, as happened yesterday,
an actor gets a better offer.  I've been warned that some of the accents may
not be good.  My fault for setting the play in Britain.  Out Blighted muse.

Today my (our?) future studio and conservatory sitting area (with reading
bench) is being painted "Abstract White."  If your day slows or you find
yourself stuck in the middle of a forty-five minute talk, you might try to
imagine that color.

Carry on,

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon