[lit-ideas] A really large number

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:49:02 -0500

<<Brian Wingfield and Josh
Zumbrun<http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/09/23/bailout-paulson-congress-biz-beltway-cx_jz_bw_0923bailout.html>write
for Forbes that "some of the most basic details" of the plan,
"including the $700 billion figure Treasury would use to buy up bad debt,
are fuzzy.

"'It's not based on any particular data point,' a Treasury spokeswoman told
Forbes.com Tuesday. 'We just wanted to choose a really large number.'">>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2008/09/25/BL2008092501776_5.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&sid=ST2008092500007&s_pos=

IMHO (for whatever it's not worth) this is a pretty non-partisan, thorough,
and important piece -- it's a little long-ish, but if I could only share
with other people one article from this last week, it would likely be this
one.  Although the first significant section is devoted to the economic
situation in the U.S., a broader political exploration is presented.

Julie Krueger