[lit-ideas] A good learning

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:32:20 -0800

JL:

I don?t want to get in the middle of your intellectual and philosophical
discussion with McEvoy, but your ?I spent a high fee to get a good learning
into something apassionate? reminded me of Alberto Ruiz-Tagle?s entrance
into the Juan Stein?s poetry workshop in Concepcion.   Of course Alberto
Ruiz-Table wasn?t his real name.  His real name was Carlos Wieder and from
the activities he engages in described by the narrator (in Roberto Bolano?s
Distant Star) I took him to be a serial killer, but after reading several
reviews, I now suspect he was an assassin for the Pinochet regime.  He was
at least a lieutenant in the Pinochet Air Force and disposed of prisoners
because there wasn?t room for them in prisons; so one of his jobs was
killing.  The thing that threw me off ? made me think he was an ordinary
demented serial killer ? was his killing of the Garmendia sisters.  Yes they
were mildly engaged in subversive activities but so was everyone.  It went
with being a poet, but if Carlos Wieder killed people for Pinochet, he may
well have been sent to kill them.   One evidence of that is that even though
it became well known that he as Alberto Ruiz-Tagle had killed them, he was
never really pursued by the police.  He merely changed his name.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml;?xml=/arts/2004/12/12/bobol12.xml

In one review I learned that one would be well to have read   La Literatura
Nazi en América
http://www.centerforbookculture.org/review/bookreviews/05_1/bolano.html
before reading Distant Star.  This has been translated into English but has
not yet been published.  One can preorder it at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Literature-Americas-Roberto-Bolano/dp/0811217051/
ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8
<http://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Literature-Americas-Roberto-Bolano/dp/0811217051
/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195499352&sr=1-7>
&s=books&qid=1195499352&sr=1-7   From Amazon.com:

?Nazi Literature in the Americas presents itself as a biographical
dictionary of writers who espoused extreme right-wing ideologies in the
twentieth and twenty-first centuries.

?Composed of short biographies about imaginary writers from Argentina,
Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Columbia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, and the USA, Nazi
Literature in the Americas includes descriptions of the writers' works,
cross references, a bibliography, and also an epilogue ("For Monsters"). All
the writers are carefully and credibly situated in real literary worlds.
There are fourteen thematic sections with titles such as "Forerunners and
Figures of the Anti-Enlightenment," "Magicians, Mercenaries and Miserable
Individuals," and "North American Poets."

?Brisk and pseudo-academic, Nazi Literature in the Americas delicately
balances irony and pathos. Bolaño does not simply use his writers for target
practice: in the space of a few pages he manages to sketch character
portraits that are often pathetically funny, sometimes surprisingly moving,
and, on occasion, authentically chilling. A remarkably inventive, funny, and
disquieting sui generis novel, Nazi Literature in the Americas offers a
clear view into the workings of one of the most extraordinarily fecund
literary imaginations of our time.?

Anyway, when Alberto Ruiz-Tagle joins Juan Stein?s poetry workshop in
Concepcion, he claims not to have been to college (even though as Carlos
Wieder he had) or to be a student but to be an autodidact.   Being an
autodidact had its own form of prestige amongst Chilean poets.  There he was
amongst students and college graduates and functioning as an equal because
he had developed to their level through his own efforts (he led them to
assume) and had not (getting back to the beginning of my note) ?spent a high
fee to get a good learning.?   Autodidacts are mentioned several times by
Bolano.  Perhaps many of the Chilean poets claimed that, but this term has
always puzzled me.  Surely everyone, even those of us who have received ?a
good learning? are autodidactic to a considerable degree ?- else we would be
like puppets or parrots.   Although this would apply more to the Liberal
Arts than to the sciences ? many of them need to be parrots.   I knew a
great number of engineers and scientists and many of them had very poor
understandings of anything outside their narrow fields.  Those engineers who
did seem well educated had accomplished that feat on their own ? as
autodidacts, because they didn?t get it in the Engineering department.

Lawrence