[lit-ideas] Re: A Thomistic rejection of "Or not"? [correction]

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:53:12 -0700

I wrote

I agree with Lawrence. He is making, with different examples, the same point I was trying to make in a longer post in which I gave some examples of questions of the form 'Are you--- or not?' in which 'or not'' was neither redundant or otiose, and added nothing to the mere question, 'Are you---?'
This sentence is goofy in its own right, but it can't be fixed by changing 'nothing' to 'something.' As I said later on in that post, I now believe that utterances of the form 'Are you---or not,' are, in many cases, not questions at all but idiomatic expressions. If they are, this would mean that one doesn't begin with a mere question and then append 'or not to it.' There are not two parts to such expressions---the mere question and what's appended to it; instead, the speaker intends it as a whole, and the audience must understand it as one.

RP