[lit-ideas] A Poem

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ruth S. McCreery" <rsm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kate & Pat Glynn <pmglynn242@xxxxxxxxx>, Kate & Pat Glynn <kathryn.m.glynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:10:56 -0400

From Granta Magazine, a poem by Jill Osier
Requiem
Across the street, two boys begin to bury
a girl in leaves. Kneel ing at her side
they show her how to cover her face - don’t
for get to breathe, I imag ine they tell her,
when what they real ly should say is, Try
to remem ber the smell of sun through it all. It’s
a rare courtship. I watch her help,
gath er ing the leaves to her like love,
hid ing her self. No mat ter how many, it’s
the same heavy. One leaf will find its way
beneath her shirt, anoth er will tick le her lip.
What she’ll hear is almost like breath ing,
and it must be the leaves. Sounds beyond love,
sounds beyond love… Remem ber, I would tell her,
there are such things.

------

It inspires me.

My five year old grandson