[lit-ideas] A Dog I Know

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:53:24 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/2004 5:24:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
And the  British only show affection for dogs and  horses.

Erin
Toronto

----

Some dogs and some horses.

Hunting dogs and polo horses, I would say.

"We English have found the dog our ideal companion. It allows displays of
affection -- in both directions -- of which we can control the occasion,
alternatively loving and whipping. It is also the type of animal that allows us
believe that the relationship is basically practical. Dogs have their uses,
as guard-dogs, sheepdogs, in fox-hunting, bull-baiting, retrieving, coursing;
without his bulldog at his side, John Bull is only half complete. We tend to
despise decorative dogs -- lapdogs for old laides -- and prefer working
varieties, however unlikely it is they will be called on to perform the
function
they were bred for. There must be thousands of Jack Russell terriers,  bred for
driving foxes and rabbits from their holes, living now in cities."  ...

"With horses the relationship is necessarily less intimate, since you can
scarcely let a horse sleep on the bed."
       from "A Dog I Know", in John Knowler,  Trust an Englishman, Paladin.

Cheers,

JL