[lit-ideas] Re: A Canadian One Might Be Fishy, but in Oregon The Siberian Lynx is An Agricultural Lynx

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:04:35 -0700

Our newspaper has a good story about nosology, always a tricky subject.
Julia has been compiling a cookbook simply by sticking into a binder, all
the recipies that someone has cut out of various papers and magazines (I
write "someone" because I don't do this).  Yesterday Emily and I laughed
spontaneously when we found she had filed "Massuman Curry" under "Soups and
Salads."  And then we apologized and said that people who classify things
often run into these problems.  She had reasoned that a curry is very like a
soup; we were thinking that you usually eat curry as a main dish.

The newspaper story is about a pet Lynx that attacked a six year old girl
and so what shot and killed.  Yesterday's story concerned the girl and the
circumstances of the attack.  Today's question is whether the Lynx was a
legal pet.  The conclusion is, "Yes it was"-- as is the cheetah-like African
wildcat that the woman also owns--but the reasoning is more complex than you
might imagine.  This was a Siberian lynx, not a Canadian lynx.  A Siberian
lynx is considered an "exotic" animal and falls under the jurisdiction of
the Deparment of Agriculture.  The owner of a Canadian lynx, "a species
indigenous to Oregon, would have to apply for a permit with the Department
of Fish and Wildlife..."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon