[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] Trick or treat: Malaysia Willing To Accept Indonesia's Apology

  • From: "Wilson K." <pengelola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:40:04 -0000

Malaysia Willing To Accept Indonesia's Apology

KUALA LUMPUR, March 18 (Bernama) -- Malaysia is willing to accept the
Indonesian government's apology for the burning of the Malaysian flag
by the republic's citizens although the apology was not made through
its foreign ministry.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said Friday that where
Malaysia was concerned, the apology was made publicly by an ambassador
and that was good enough and spoke well for Malaysia-Indonesia ties.

"They apologised...we should not be arrogant and reject it because it
came from its ambassador. I believe that he had his government's
mandate (to apologise)," he told reporters after a dialogue with
deputy ministers on the role of a minister-in-attendance at the
Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations, here.

On Monday, Indonesian ambassador to Malaysia Drs H. Rusdihardjo
apologised for the acts of Indonesians in burning and stomping on the
Malaysian flag during last week's demonstrations in that country,
including at the Malaysian embassy in Jakarta, in protest of Petronas'
award to Shell of oil and gas concessions in two blocks in the
Sulawesi Sea, to which Indonesia had laid claim.

He made the apology after a meeting with the Barisan Nasional Youth at
the Indonesian embassy here.

Syed Hamid said that although the apology was made to a political
party and not through the foreign ministry, the government was not
averse to accept it.

"He said it in public...it is a public apology. I think it is good
enough. We appreciate that he recognised that there had been some
over-reaction...there had been action that is unbecoming.

"It speaks well for both Malaysia and Indonesia's relationship," he said.

On the Malaysian and Indonesian technical teams that will be meeting
in the republic on March 22-23 to resolve maritime border issues
between the two country, Syed Hamid said the Malaysian team was ready
with the facts.

He said the Malaysian team would comprise Wisma Putra officials and
officers from other government departments and agencies involved in
technical fields like geography, mapping, maritime and border issues
as well as from the Attorney-General's chambers.

Syed Hamid said Malaysia did not expect the dispute over the two oil
blocks in the Sulawesi Sea to be resolved in just one meeting.

"There'll be more frequent meetings after this until an agreement
acceptable to both sides is reached.

"For a start, we will look at the gap between the countries and how we
can narrow that gap," he said.

He said the meeting of the technical teams was in line with both
countries' top leaders' instruction for all disputes between Malaysia
and Indonesia to be settled through diplomacy and consultation.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=124445

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;