[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] Our Poor Libraries

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:14:15 +0100

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=60031&d=12&m=3&y=2005

Monday, 7, March, 2005 (26, Muharram, 1426)

      Our Poor Libraries
      Falah Al-Qahtani . Al-Watan

      A visitor to any of our libraries, whether public or private, will soon
realize how poor they are - lacking important books and references most
sought-after by both students and researchers. In the absence of proper sources
of information, researchers and students find themselves obliged to rely on
poorly written, largely irrelevant notes or travel abroad in search of good
sources for their research. Even after going abroad, the suffering and hassles
continue; arriving in the Kingdom with a load of books is another obstacle.

      The censors are eager to examine the books and decide which ones should
be allowed in and which should be confiscated. It is sad to note that many
books are confiscated for reasons which are simply ridiculous. We still don't
know on what basis books are prevented from entering the Kingdom; very often
the subjects of those books have nothing to do with religion or politics and
deal with purely academic matters. This leaves us with only one explanation;
the ban is imposed by individuals who may know very little about the book and
are acting on a whim. If this is the case, then we are faced with a most
unfortunate situation.

      The shelves of our libraries bear the weight of many books, rows and rows
of them with very similar titles and contents. The sheer number of such books
creates in the reader's mind the impression that our libraries offer nothing
but these boring books. It is no wonder that students, researchers and ordinary
readers avoid entering them and have turned instead to the Internet in order to
obtain the information they want. Even here, they are not left alone; the
Internet itself is heavily censored with thousands of sites blocked.

      If some people believe that blocking sites and banning books arbitrarily
for no real reason is a good educational tool, they are dead wrong. The people
with such a mentality seem to live in the dark ages, not realizing that we live
in a global village. A book published in one part of the world in the morning
is available all over the world on the same day. Geographical boundaries no
longer prevent the flow of information and, thanks to the Internet and other
technology, information now transcends all man-made barriers.

      The policy of denying people access to information could very well
backfire since they will resort to every possible means to get what they want.
Banning and blocking provides free advertising for the very material which is
considered objectionable. What the censors are doing is against all
international norms; it is nothing less than an attack on human rights and
intellectual freedom.

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4F6XtA/_WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;