[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] GEMPA

  • From: anton john hartomo <antonhartomo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:10:27 -0800 (PST)

kemarin baru tv pakistan info gempa naluku
tengah malam ini symatra diguncang lagi
jadi para petinggi jangan bersikap bebal terus
menteri2 terkait sedang dinilai rakyat
bertobatlah
=20
=20
=20
=20
Strong Quake Hits Off Indonesia Island=20

12 minutes ago
AP Asia
By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer=20
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A major earthquake struck off the west coast of Ind=
onesia's Sumatra Island late Monday, and officials warned that a tsunami co=
uld strike the area. Residents of Banda Aceh fled their homes in panic.=20

AP Photo=20

AP Photo Slideshow: Asian Tsunami Disaster

Latest Headlines: =B7List of Deadly Quakes Around the World=20
AP - 2 minutes ago=20
=B7Massive Quake Off Sumatra Coast; Tsunami Feared=20
Reuters - 9 minutes ago=20
=B7US tsunami alert centre says quake region should evacuate=20
=20
=20=20

=20
The U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) said the temblor, described b=
y one of the agency's geologists as an aftershock of the devastating Dec. 2=
6 quake, measured a magnitude of 8.2.=20

In Banda Aceh, the Sumatran city that was hit hardest by December's tsunami=
, the quake cut electricity and thousands poured into the streets, most get=
ting into vehicles to flee low-lying areas.=20

The quake lasted for about two minutes =97 far longer than most of the dail=
y aftershocks that have rocked Aceh since Dec. 26.=20

"People are still traumatized, still scared, they are running for higher gr=
ound," said Feri, a 24-year-old recovery volunteer who goes by one name.=20

The quake was felt as far away as Malaysia, about 300 miles from the epicen=
ter, sending panicked residents fleeing their apartments and hotels in Kual=
a Lumpur and Penang after authorities activated fire alarms.=20

Officials issued a tsunami warning for residents of southern Thai provinces=
, three months after a tsunami devastated parts of Indonesia and other coun=
tries in the region. The quake occurred at 11:09 p.m. local time (11:09 a.m=
. EST) at a depth of nearly 19 miles, the USGS (news - web sites) in Golden=
, Colo., said.=20

The quake was centered 125 west-northwest of Sibolga, Sumatra, and 150 mile=
s southwest of Medan, Sumatra, the agency said.=20

Japan's Meteorological Agency said the quake registered 8.5.=20

Tremors were felt throughout peninsular Malaysia's west coast, causing thou=
sands of residents to flee high-rise apartment buildings and hotels. There =
were no immediate reports of any casualties or major damage.=20

"I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking," said=
 Kuala Lumpur resident Jessie Chong. "I thought I was hallucinating at firs=
t, but then I heard my neighbors screaming and running out."=20

The USGS said in a statement that the quake occurred on a segment of the sa=
me fault line that triggered the magnitude-9 earthquake on Dec. 26, the wor=
ld's biggest in 40 years.=20

Dale Grant of U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was magnitude 8.2 and w=
as in the aftershock zone of the Dec. 26 quake.=20

"It is along the same segment of fault," he said. "We do expect aftershocks=
. An 8.2 is very large, but it's not unusual as an aftershock."=20

He stressed they have no reports at this time of any tsunami.=20

The Dec. 26 quake triggered the huge tsunami that swept across the Indian O=
cean at the speed of a passenger jet killed more than 174,000 people and le=
ft another 106,000 missing.=20

More than 1.5 million people were left homeless in 11 countries..=20
=20

Tremors form the quake could be felt in the Thai capital Bangkok for severa=
l minutes beginning at about 11:20 p.m.=20
Chalermchai Aekkantrong, deputy director of Thailand's meteorological depar=
tment, told a radio station Monday that officials were asking people near t=
he coast to evacuate, although there were no immediate reports of a tsunami=
.=20

=20

=09=09

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->=20
Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->=20

Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju Indonesia yg=
 Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;=20
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx