[list_indonesia] [ppiindia] 87 Percent Saudis Back Women's Participation in Election

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:45:54 +0100

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=60527&d=16&m=3&y=2005

            Wednesday, 16, March, 2005 (05, Safar, 1426)

                  87 Percent Saudis Back Women's Participation in Elections
                  P.K. Abdul Ghafour & Abeer Mishkhas, Arab News

                  JEDDAH, 16 March 2005 - A survey conducted by an independent
agency in Jeddah showed 87 percent Saudis backing women's participation in
elections. It also reflected the greater role of media in educating the public
on the polls.

                  "Eighty-seven percent of 240 Saudis who took part in the
survey called for women's participation in the next round of elections," said
Dr. Muhammad Fashetan, chairman of the SAS Center for Opinion Survey and
Consultancy in Jeddah.

                  He said the survey's participants included 50 teachers, 20
businessmen, six university students, 40 government employees, 20 retired
military officers, 20 media persons and 30 retired civilian officials.

                  Some women were actually happy to hear the survey report, no
matter how small the number polled was. For them it indicated that there is a
change in the way people perceive the matter and some saw it as a result of the
media's influence. But a considerable number of women also expressed their
doubts on the credibility of the poll.

                  Nawal Hamed, a physician, said that the number mentioned in
the survey, carried by the official Saudi Press Agency, is not representative
of the Saudi population. "I have my doubts on the significance of this number
and I think the people polled belong to a certain educated class, that is why
they seem supportive of women voting."

                  Rasha Muhamad, a Girls' Education Department employee, echoed
the same skeptical sentiments saying, "I do not think the general Saudi public
shares this feeling." Housewife Lama Muhamad said that voting was the basic
right for both men and women, on the condition that they can offer something
good. "But this poll does not tell me that the resistance to women's
participation has changed." Saudi Arabia's landmark nationwide municipal
elections began on Feb. 10 when Saudi men in the Riyadh region cast their
votes. Women, who make up more than 50 percent of the population were excluded
from the vote.

                  In the second phase, elections were held in the eastern and
southern regions on March 3. The third and final phase, covering Makkah,
Madinah, Tabuk, Hail and Al-Jouf regions as well as Qasim and the Northern
Border Province will be held on April 21.

                  The municipal election bylaw does not exclude women from
voting. As a result, a number of ambitious women had announced their intention
to run in the historic polls, speaking openly of their manifestos.

                  Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal as well as the chief
election officer Prince Mansour ibn Miteb have expressed their hope that women
would be able to take part in the next round of municipal elections to be held
in 2009. "Municipal elections are a new experience in the Kingdom and the short
time given to the Election Commission made it impossible to allow women's
participation this time," Prince Mansour told reporters.

                  The main reasons for barring women from the election were
administrative, an election official said, adding that there were not enough
women electoral staff to run voter registration centers, while only a fraction
of women had photo identity cards.

                  But many women rights activists were not happy with the
explanation and urged the government to appoint women to fill the remaining
seats as elections are conducted to pick half the members of the country's 178
municipal councils. In a letter to Prince Mansour, they demanded that the other
half of the councils' seats be allocated to women, Hatoon Al-Fassi said in
early January. "We are demanding the maximum (possible) and we believe it is
our right," said Fassi, a history lecturer at King Saud University.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;