[linuxplay_oblong] Easy configure how-to for multimedia on Ubuntu

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxplay_oblong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:16:09 +1200

Kia ora

For those of you using Ubuntu or setting it up for newbies, one of the biggest headaches you've probably had is getting all the non-free multimedia stuff working properly (flash for YouTube, mp3 support, DVD playing etc). I came across this handy how-to on setting up the 'mediabuntu' repository and getting all that stuff up and running:

BTW Interest in a reconfigure Linux Play type session seems to be pretty positive. Daniel will ask whether Oblong is still willing to host at the next collective meeting. I will keep you posted. Another thought occurred to me about timing. If we do 2 sessions a month, and make them the last 2 Sat/ Suns before Oblong's broadband cap resets, those would be better times to do things like download new distros that use of lots of bandwidth.

RnB
Strypes

--
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Suess

http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/contacts.html
archive: //www.freelists.org/archives/linuxplay_oblong/