[Linux-Discussion] glibc

  • From: bobbya <bobbya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 17:27:06 -0700

When installing java's jdk1.4, and even 1.3; during the installation
process the message said installation was not possible
because I did not have "glibc x.x" some number. I figured that I needed
to upgrade the kernel. What is the easiest
way of doing that?

To me, reinstalling redhat 7.2 or whatever is easier, but now there are
other things involved in doing that. Those other
things might be topics requiring a new thread of discussion. Anyway, one
of them is if I do a reinstall, then Redhat
might use a different file system. Does it? If so, then can I port over
files from ext2 to the new one, I think it
has something like a journaling system. I'm not sure. Anyway, this
upgrading to a better kernel seems to
be getting out of control.

Until I get the answer, I'm keeping what I have. But I need to use
jdk1.4.

Robert