[Linux-Discussion] changing hostname problems

  • From: "David Bruce Jr" <dbartbruce@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:13:26 -0500

I'm trying to change my server's hostname and not having much luck.

My server is also a nameserver- the old hostname works ok, the only
reason I'm wanting to change it is to not confuse newbies.

Old hostname:
server.heftyhosting.com 66.33.80.195
server2.heftyhosting.com 66.33.81.195

I want to change it to:
ns.heftyhosting.com 66.33.80.195
ns2.heftyhosting.com 66.33.81.195

Here's what I've tried so far from my lurking on the sourceforge webmin
list:

==============
first one:
==============
"On RedHat, edit /etc/sysconfig/network and change the value there. This
will not change it until you reboot"

==============

second one:
==============
"Maybe you could use

find / -exec grep -l ****** {} \; 2>>/dev/null
    (put your present host name instead of ******)

to find the file where your hostname is stored"

==============
end webmin examples of possible solutions
==============

My dns zone file now says this:

$TTL 3600
@ IN SOA ns.heftyhosting.com. postmaster.ns.heftyhosting.com. 2001120602
10800 3600 604800 3333
@ IN A 66.33.80.195
ftp.heftyhosting.com. IN A 66.33.80.195
heftyhosting.com. IN MX 10 mail.heftyhosting.com.
heftyhosting.com. IN NS ns.heftyhosting.com.
heftyhosting.com. IN NS ns2.ns.heftyhosting.com.
heftyintro IN CNAME heftyhosting.com.
mail.heftyhosting.com. IN A 66.33.80.195
www.heftyhosting.com. IN A 66.33.80.195

What could I do next?

is the ns2.ns.heftyhosting.com incorrect?

Shouldn't there be a line for
66.33.81.195=ns2.heftyhosting.com like:

@ IN A 66.33.81.195
in order to get ns2 to resolve??