[Linux-Discussion] Re: accidentally made a user in a separate group, how to undo that?

  • From: Nils Vogels <nivo+linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 17:54:27 +0100

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 06:25:35PM -0500, David Bruce Jr wrote:
> while screwing around in webmin users I made a user a member of a
> group and now I want to undo that.
>
> The way I found out was that I built some web pages for this user
> (who is also a vhost) while logged in as root via SCP

!!!
I suppose you meant to say you logged in on the remote box and then su-ed to
root ?

Logging in as root is really a bad idea, not only does it make you a more easy
target to skript kiddies, it also doesnt teach you how you should work with
unix permissions.

Login as user, su to root to do whats needed, then return to user is my
advice.

> usually if I do chown -R user.user /home/user/www
> that gives the user back ownership of the files edited by root
>
> this time I get a 'wrong group' error
>
> what is the syntax to chgrp ?

> is this dependent on how my groups are set up?

no.

> man chgrp says:
>
> chgrp (option) (group) (file)
>
> so would I do
> chgrp -R badgroup /home/user/www
> ?
>
> where do I put the new group in the syntax?

you put the new group where you put 'badgroup' in your example

if you want to do a search and replace of files belonging to 'badgroup' and
change those to the good group, read the find(1) manpage on how to find the
files, use the -exec parameter of find to issue a chgrp command...

HTH, HAND

--
Nils Vogels             PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:2594WU/3.909yr      --> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

Why did it happen ? BOFH Excuse:
             Your processor does not develop enough heat.