[Linux-Discussion] Re: MPA, take that!

  • From: Paul <landerso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:20:35 -0500

John Madden wrote:

> woo-hoo!

At this point, the death of the RIAA is inevitable.  They're an industry
cartel and they are attacking their customers.  Any company that attacks
it's customers is in it's death throws.  Anyone here read much on the
history of The Hudson Bay company?  In operation for over 300 years it
was largely responsible for the peaceful settlement of the west in
Canada. (The whole business with rounding up indians and slaughtering
them never actually happened in Canada, the indians played a significant
role in developing the western economy and defending Canada from the
American rebellion.  A feat for which the Queen of England granted them
massive tracts of land)  Do you know why they never had the problems
with indians that the americans had?  The Hudson Bay company had a motto
- "It's bad business to shoot your customer."

Things like CPRM and SDMI are as doomed as DivX movie rental.  They
provide no measureable advantage for the consumer, but plenty of
advantage for the company.  The consumer never will see a reason to have
that, it just prevents him from doing whatever he pleases with his own
possessions.  Certainly not something he'll pay for.

I have almost 400 MP3s on my machine right now.  I could burn them to
audio CDs and run them in the CD player, but I don't.  What to know
why?  Because I could never fit 30-odd CDs into my CD player - it's only
a 5 disk changer.  Plus, I can't download new songs into it.  So the
computer provides yeoman service as a stereo.  Provides me with a LOT of
convenience.

Besides, these companies are so focused on not getting ripped off that
they CAUSE more customers to do it.  People, in general, are pretty
honest.  They have no problem with paying for something, and very rarely
much of a reason to steal.  Now, if you start treating EVERYONE like a
criminal, they figure what's to lose?  They already figure I'm going to
steal something, so why shouldn't I?  Theft goes up.  They just write
Napster off as some mighty cheap promotion and be done with it.  A
dollar missed is not a dollar spent.

Administrative contact: weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx