[Linux-Discussion] DVD-ROM not in xcdroast Device-Scan

  • From: "S. Arif Khalid" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:52:57 -0500 (EST)

1.  I'm using xcdroast that came with RH 8.0.  My
CD-RW (/dev/scd0) shows up in the "Device-Scan" panel,
but my DVD-ROM (/dev/hdd) does not.  Does the DVD-ROM
need to be set up as a SCSI device?  If so, can (and
should) I set it up that way?  I want to be able to do
direct CD to CD copy.

2.  Also, I noticed that the xcdroast settings for the
CD-RW drive say 1x for both read and write speed.  My
drive says 16x/12x/40x on the front.  I think that
means 16x write, 12x re-write, and 40x read.  Does
this mean that I can safely set the read and write
speed to 40x and 16x, respectively?

  3.  If I do manage to make the DVD-ROM available to
xcdroast, should I make sure that it's read speed is
 always set greater than the CD-RW drive write speed?

 4.  When I insert a CD it automounts as iso9660.  For
a UDF CD this isn't very useful.  I'm able to mount
UDF filesystem CD's by using the command "mount -t udf
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1" (/dev/cdrom1 is a symlink to
/dev/scd0), but only as root.  Can I set up the CD
drive to allow non-root to mount a non-iso CD?  My
fstab has the following line:
/dev/cdrom1     /mnt/cdrom1    iso9660  noauto,owner,kudzu,ro, 0 0

5.  Ultimately, I'd like to be able to drag and drop
files onto a CD-RW like I can under Windows running
Roxio's DirectCD software (that handles UDF CDs).  I
know I can read UDF CDs in Linux, but has anyone heard
of being able to add and delete files from a CD-RW
under Linux?  Any instructions on setting this up?

Thanks,

Arif