[linux-cirrus] Re: user space SEGFAULTS

  • From: Ray Lehtiniemi <rayl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:19:36 -0700

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:57:28PM -0700, Liberty Young wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 11:20, Ray Lehtiniemi wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:50:36AM -0700, Liberty Young wrote:
> >
> > > ftp://embeddedARM.com/downloads/bare_bones-debian.tar.gz
> >
> > thanks, i'll grab that and give it a try too
> >

> > > Another interesting thing to note is that booting into a busybox OS
> > > doesn't exhibit these problems.
> >
> > hmmm... busybox compiled with uclibc instead of glibc, perhaps? i've
> > been using the buildroot compiler to date, which targets uclibc, and
> > i've not had problems...  i've just built up a crosstool compiler
> > targetting glibc.  i wonder if i'll start seeing problems too?  there
> > are certainly lots of glibc-related user-space faulting problems in
> > the mailing list archives...
>
> Nope. busybox compiled with glibc (kegel's crosstool,
> 0.28rc-something-or-rather)

well, i guess that rules glibc out...

i tried both the debian root fs and the denx 3.1 rootfs using the latest
bk tree on my edb9302 eval board.  i didn't really observe any segfault
problems, although both had their share of issues...

the debian system seemed to have nothing really configured in the
inittab and /etc/rc1.d directories... i had to create a bunch of
symlinks by hand, but once i did that, it seemed stable enough.

the denx system has some weird userid permissions issue... it seems
that everything is running as root during bootup, but early in the
bootup process, mounting /proc fails because "only root can do that".
go figure...  i was able to login as root without seeing the "malloc
botched assertion" messages that llandre reported earlier, although
root was still not allowed to mount filesystems :-/

so, no luck, i can't seem to reproduce either problem here at my end.
all i can suggest at this point is to pull the latest bk tree and cross
your fingers...

     Ray L   <rayl@xxxxxxxx>