[linux-cirrus] Re: sound support

  • From: "Stefano Lena - DAVE S.r.l" <stefano.lena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: k.fetscher@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:22:43 +0100

Hi,

we are interested in using i2s support on a ep9315 based board.
we take a look to your code but before to work on it we would to ask you if you have some news about i2s support. Do you improve your code? We would use it in the last 2.6.13.
If you have a more recent version of your code could you please send it?

Sorry for the delay, I was out of office.

I have nothing changed on the code. I have also seen, that a new version from Cirrus is available. I think, the Cirrus version is better than my, because this is an ALSA driver (my driver was only an OSS-Driver).

Perhaps you can use the SPI routines (I have used the SPI routines from Ray, not the Cirrus SPI driver) and the proc interface from my source.

If you have any questions or problems, I will help you. I also want to use the new ALSA driver, but at the moment I have no time to do that.

Hi,

probably I successfully "installed" your I2s support in our EP9325 based board. I'm not completely sure because I not yet tryed with hardware.
In any case I have a couple of questions I would like to ask you.

Our requirements are to send and receive I2s streams simultaneously, and the streams are not syncronized (I mean they could have different clocks). The first question is related at the EP9315 I2S controller:
in your opinion could it be used to fit our requirements? I don't understand how, because it looks like the clock pin is the same for the three channel, so I guess the clock is one and only one for the three channels. If the clock is the same....it doesn't fit our requirements ( or it can but in a way I don't understand at the moment!!).
Another question is : can we set the tx0 channel as master and the rx0 channel as slave? But in that case what that configuration does exactly mean?

Third question: should we use the tx pin of one channel and the rx of another channel in order to transmit and receive simultaneously two not-syncronized streams?

About your driver:

could your driver support our requirements? (I mean: transmit and receive simultaneously two different streams.)

In your opinion the cirrus ALSA driver should do the same?

Thank you very much.

regards

Lena

--

- Please, take note that fax number has been changed -

DAVE Srl - Electronics System House
via Forniz 2/1
33080 Porcia (PN) - Italy
Telephone: +39.0434.921215