[linux-cirrus] Re: redboot and kernel version

  • From: Henk Stegeman <henksteg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:25:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Adam Yergovich <ayergo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Still no luck getting Linux up on my protoboard.
> I've talked with
> Cirrus a bit, and they haven't yet been able to send
> me a redboot.bin,
> ramdisk.gz, and zImage they know to work with the
> ep9301 processor.

That kinda sounds like there's no redboot that works
with the ep9301 at all. Which would also mean that
redboot wouldn't work on the edb9301 (development
kit).

On my edb9301 redboot works for about 5% of the time.
That 5% of the time I can actually run Linux on the
board for about one hour.

Most of the time redboot blinks the red LED indicating
that the SDRAM test has failed. There was also a
problem with my edb9301 PCB. (bad connection/track),
took me days to figure out what's wrong. Eventhough I
should receive custommer support from Videon
(developer of edb9301) they haven't responded to any
my emails about these issues.

There's also another thing: I noticed a difference in
the pinout list of the ep9301 between the previous and
latest release of the ep9301 datasheet. The edb9301 is
based on the previous datasheet.

This was my question to Videon:
On the most recent EP9301 datasheet (EP9301 Product
Data Sheet) Pin 85 is labeled gnd_ring, on the old
EP9301 datasheet (exists on the EDB9301 CD) however it
was labeled otherwise and was used as such in your
EDB9301 design. Should this be modified on the
EDB9301? Or is the new EP9301 datasheet erroneous?

Anyways, I can help you with any of the files that
were provided with the EDB9301.

When I'm at home I can put them on my ftp server.

BTW.
I have modified the download utility from cirrus a lot
so I could add some C code on the ep9301 for low level
debugging (this is how I tracked the bad track on the
pcb). If anyone needs that, let me know.

Henk Stegeman

http://mail.yahoo.com