[linux-cirrus] Ethernet driver

  • From: Michael Burian <dynmail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:56:41 +0200

hi all,

the latest ethernet driver is available at:

http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/tmp/ep93xx_eth.c
http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/tmp/ep93xx_eth.h

please test and tell me if it works for you!

you should be able to use the files as drop-in-replacements for
the files formerly present linux-2.6.12-ep93xx/drivers/net/arm/

CHANGES:
Most of the cleanups that were suggested by RMK [1]

TODO:

1.) avoiding memcpy and use dma as it's supposed to be.
I've tried to do this on the TX side and it got tricky[2] soon.
Maybe things are easier with RX, but I haven't had time to try yet.
RX also looks more important, IMHO

2.)Implement module support, in case anybody cares.
If you'd like to be able to load it as a module support, consider
sending me patches, but keep in mind that it might be most efficient to
fix 1) first.

[1]
Also see this thread
http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2005-July/030260.html

[2]
Problem:

the sk_buff we get from the kernel in our hard_start_xmit routine
isn't 32bit aligned, the DMA controller however expects it to be,
so some tweaking would be necessary, (see the thread in linux-arm-kernel).

I could need some help with the DMA issue - anybody?

Thanks