[linux-cirrus] Re: EP93XX Ethernet autonegotiation hangs till link is up

  • From: Michael Burian <dynmail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:44:22 +0200

Jean-Philippe Francois wrote:

> Cirrus solution also adds a flag gPhyAutoNegoDone, so that if you hit
> the return -1 code path, you still get a chance for auonegotiation when
> first packet is transmitted (hard_start_xmit), and then another each
> time there is a tx_timeout.
>
> We can :
> -keep the actual code and come back to it after mainline submission.

No, there's really no excuse for submitting code where we already know
that it should be done better.

> -take Cirrus fix.
Yes, I'll try to do that, see below.[1]

> -use a workqueue that do link monitoring at regular interval.

I'd like to do [1] first, then we can come back to this one.

[1]
I will merge the current driver with the version in
linux-2.4.21-rmk1-crus-1-4-3 [3] and hope that this will fix the problem.

The version resulting from this can be used as base for any other
funky feature[2] or further cleanup in case that should be necessary.

[2]
porting it to NAPI, anyone?

[3]
Please tell me immediately if there is something newer available.