[Linux-Anyway] Re: motd

  • From: Meph Istopheles <mistopheles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:57:38 -0700

I assume your motd (message of the day) attached is from a list you have
collected. I never got it working. I tried "fortune" in the past but
lacked the skill to get it attached to anything but the terminal.

Oh, that depends upon the e-mailer you used. Some will draw from fortune (with or without various conguration combinations), other's won't. When I was running pine (Alpine), it will automatically work once you edit the pine or Alpine rc file (or within the settingts option). Evolution -- if it even allows for signatures (anything you want in every message) -- might only use "static" signatures you would have to set in the Signatures settings in Evolution. Have a look in there.

It might draw from a file. I think in pine/Alpine I'd had to create a cron job to write to a file I'd kept in my /home/meph directory which would create a new fortune every minute & pine/Alpine would take whatever was in that. I may be confusing this proceedure with another mail app, but it was rare I would use any other mail app in Linux -- & then, only till it pissed me off;-).

If you can describe all the Evolution Signature settings (in order), I may see something helpful.

  Meph

--
  Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
  -Linus Torvalds